Categories Menu

Please note - We've migrated our forums to Wordpress

Users with 0 posts have been deleted, existing users will need to create a new password. Sign up or sign in here.

How can I change my network NAME?

Home Forums General Windows discussion How can I change my network NAME?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mattb 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

MikeyChris
    Participant

I recently changed my gateway/router/modem from DSL to cable and naturally all the network settings were reset by the cable installer. I am fairly savvy about computers, but this guy was working at light speed and I could not see what he did. In any case my network is now named “Network 2” and I see no way to change it. Not a big deal, just curious. I am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit. This is a home network with no Domain Name, consisting of a Win 7 Pro 64 machine, a Win 7 Home laptop, wireless tablet & phones and one old XP 32 bit machine (mainly used for storage and printer).

Two questions:
    1) How is the network name derived originally?
    2) Can I change it?

Thanx!

mattb
    Participant

Hi Mikey,

By network name do you mean the SSID from your router? This is what shows up when you scan for Wifi. You can change that by logging into your router/access points settings page.

Or, maybe you mean the workgroup name? To change that, simply change the name on all of your computers, you do that under control panel->system->Advanced system settings->Computer name.

Let me know if you need any more help,

Matt

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger