Categories Menu

Please note - We've migrated our forums to Wordpress

Users with 0 posts have been deleted, existing users will need to create a new password. Sign up or sign in here.

Howdy!

Home Forums Introductions Howdy!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MikeyChris 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

MikeyChris
    Participant

My handle is MikeyChris and I live in the New Orleans area. I started using Win 7 Pro about 4 months ago, and have many questions. I was a DOS guy and went yelling and screaming into Win 95 when everyone else was using Win 2000. At least Win 95/98 was stil DOS based, so I felt at home. 😀 I have been using XP Pro for the last few years, and had to admit, it was pretty nice. I skipped Vista on the advice of many people, and must say I am very impressed with Win 7.

I thank the Powers-That-Be for providing this Forum. I hope to learn a lot.

Determined
    Participant

Hi Mickey. Welcome to this forum. I have Windows 7 home premium operating system. I think I have chosen the one which best fits me. I am glad to have kicked Vista to the curb.

mattb
    Participant

Hi Mikey and welcome to the forums. Things are still way to quiet here so post as much as you like, I welcome all active new users with open arms and I’ll try to answer any questions you have.

MikeyChris
    Participant

Thanx for the come-backs guys.

As I mentioned I am somewhat of a newbie to Win 7 – I bought a Lenovo desktop with Win 7 Pro preinstalled. I must say, I do hate the fact that hardly any manufactuter gives you the O/S disks anymore. You have to restore from their restore disks, which puts all the crap you spent hours getting rid of, back on your machine, and you can’t do a clean install.

I just found out my machine refuses to boot from anything but the hard drive. I have a bootable Win XP Pro disk that works in other machines, so I know the disk is OK. But in my computer, no matter what i set to Primary Boot Device in BIOS, it goes straight to the hard drive. That will make restoring after a hard disk failure impossible.

Am I correct in assuming that to be able to restore an image of my hard drive I will have to be able to boot froma CD/DVD, right? I guess I will have to take it back to where I bought it (they have a lifetime walk-in warranty).

Later,

Mikey

mattb
    Participant

Hi Mikey,
    I’ve seen this problem before, to get around it, look for a boot menu option when you turn the computer on, the message might read “hit F10 for boot options” or “hit F5 for boot menu” try this, and it should let you select the boot device.

MikeyChris
    Participant

@mattb wrote:

Hi Mikey,
    I’ve seen this problem before, to get around it, look for a boot menu option when you turn the computer on, the message might read “hit F10 for boot options” or “hit F5 for boot menu” try this, and it should let you select the boot device.

Well, I finally got to the bottom of this, kinda. I have a WD external 2TB USB drive. If I disconnect that drive, the computer will boot to the recovery DVDs. However, I also made a Windows System Repair disk (from the BACKUP/RESTORE page) using Windows 7 Pro on this machine, and the machine will absolutely not boot to that disk, even with ALL USB devices disconnected. I read somewhere that VISTA had an issue that on some machines it would not boot to CD/DVD if USB devices were connected, so that is why I tried disconnecting them. But nothing I did would allow the machine to boot to the SYSTEM REPAIR disk. I went so far as to make 2 DVDs and one CD, and none of them worked on this machine.

In any case, If any of you have trouble booting to a CD/DVD, I would like to hear about it.
    Thanx.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger