Categories Menu

Please note - We've migrated our forums to Wordpress

Users with 0 posts have been deleted, existing users will need to create a new password. Sign up or sign in here.

W8.1

Home Forums Windows Help W8.1

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dino23 6 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Dino23
    Participant

I have upgraded from W8 to W8.1. There were a few things that did not work immediately.

I could not open the Macrium Reflect program – it showed as unlicensed – entered the license key, and then OK.

I lost the RoboForm toolbar. it showed in the dropdown list from right clicking at the top of the window, but there was no box next to it to tick. In Add-ons it showed as enabled. and in the advanced internet options browsing settings the third party browser extension box was ticked. There was no change from restarting computer. Finally unticked the third party browser extension box, re-clicked it and then apply – restarted IE 11, and then found that there was now a box to tick next to the RoboForm entry in the dropdown list.

Google search opened with the text showing vertically, word below word. After an unsuccessful web search, tried clicking in turn on the tabs “web” and “image”. After clicking on the second the display changed to the usual horizontal form – I have no idea why.

With SkyDrive I am puzzled what it is exactly and how it now works. I have 25GB of storage and in W8 had used less than 1GB on some special files. With W8.1, Libraries has been replaced by SkyDrive and now the amount of storage used is about 12GB. I no longer have the ability to only put selected files there.
    I have not (yet) discovered what happens when I exceed the 25GB limit if I don’t buy more storage.
    With the internet disconnected I can still get access to all the content in what was previously under Libraries, so the files are apparently both on the computer and the internet.

I have the W8 Superguide. Is there a version for W8.1 coming?

mattb
    Participant

Hi Dino,

Yes there is a Windows 8.1 Superguide in the works. The videos are done, I’m just writing up the e-book part of it, I hope to get it out before the end of the year. There will be discounts for anyone that has bought the Windows 8 Superguide already.

Skydrive does not replace libraries. Libraries are still there they are just hidden by default. If you want to un-hide them, click on the View tab in an explorer window and choose “Options”. Now, on the Window that appears, select the “General” tab and then select “Show libraries”.

Skydrive works by mirroring the files you store in there on the cloud, so you can then access them on the web and with any other Windows 8 PC you have. In truth it’s a bit more complicated than that (Microsoft do some clever caching with Skydrive to help preserve hard drive space) but that’s basically how it works.

If you try to store more than 25gb in your Skydrive, Windows will simply stop uploading files to your Skydrive account when you exceed this limit (and probably send you an e-mail offer to sell you more storage space too).

Dino23
    Participant

Thanks Matt, particularly for your information on SkyDrive.

I wonder, if when space is full is it possible to deselect some of what is stored there? What I have in mind is perhaps putting a bulk of picture files in a folder and telling SkyDrive to remove from storage in their server.

mattb
    Participant

Yes, if you delete them from your SkyDrive folder on the PC they should then be deleted from your SkyDrive account too.

Dino23
    Participant

Thanks Matt,

What happens I wonder if I delete a file from the SkyDrive storage screen which is seen when the SkyDrive app is opened, rather than going to SkyDrive on the desktop? Could it be that deletion there only removes the file from storage, but it still remains in the SkyDrive desktop folder in File Explorer?

mattb
    Participant

It should synchronise, i.e the file will be deleted from SkyDrive on the internet then also removed from your folder. It may take it a moment to synchronise though.

Dino23
    Participant

It seems that there is no easy way to remove files from SkyDrive server storage and still have them in my hard drive under SkyDrive in File explorer.

Will it be necessary to relocate these files not wanted in SkyDrive to something like C: >Users >(user name) > Data 2, and perhaps add this to Favourites for quick access in file explorer? (The location tab is not showing in the properties of folders under my File Explorer’s SkyDrive so I presume I will need to cut and paste to the new location.)

mattb
    Participant

That’s correct, you need to move the files out of the Skydrive folder. Anything in the SkyDrive folder will sync with your SkyDrive in the cloud. You can put the files anywhere (into your documents folder perhaps) just as long as it is not in your SkyDrive folder.

We’ve just released Windows 8 Superguide 2nd Edition which is fully updated for Windows 8.1, Check it out here:- https://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/windows-8-superguide/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger