Categories Menu

Please note - We've migrated our forums to Wordpress

Users with 0 posts have been deleted, existing users will need to create a new password. Sign up or sign in here.

Wierd problem with Notepad

Home Forums General Windows discussion Wierd problem with Notepad

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mattb 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

MikeyChris
    Participant

I am running Win 7 Pro 64 with Notepad version 6.1 build 7601SP 1. Within the last couple weeks whenever I start Notepad by clicking a TXT doc, the app starts in a small window with only the Title Bar visible (i.e the doc name – Notepad and the close/Minimize/Maximize buttons showing, no text window). It had been working fine – i.e. starting in a normal window with text visible.

I checked the PROPERTIES of the app, and it was set to run in a normal window. I tried changing it to Max, then Min, then back to Normal, but nothing changed.

NOTE: When I start the app from the START menu it usually starts appropriate to the PROPERTIES setting. However, occassionally, even starting it that way just gives me the title bar. Restting the Properties (chnaging to Max, then back to Normal) seems to rest the starting window correctly, but only if I start the program directly rather than clicking on a document.

Any ideas?

Thanx,

Mike

mattb
    Participant

Hi Mikey,

Notepad should remember the size it was the last time it was opened. Rather than trying to minimize or maximize it, hover over the corner of the Notepad window and use the resize pointer. Click and drag the window to
    resize it. Now close Notepad, has this solved the problem?

MikeyChris
    Participant

@mattb wrote:

Notepad should remember the size it was the last time it was opened. Rather than trying to minimize or maximize it, hover over the corner of the Notepad window and use the resize pointer. Click and drag the window to resize it. Now close Notepad, has this solved the problem?

Yup, that fixed it. I had tried maximizing the window by clicking the button and then closing Notepad, but that didn’t work. Why do you think you have to size the window by dragging it to get the size to stick? I had actually tried closing Notepad (after maximizing the window size) in 4 different ways, and it still didn’t stick until I used the drag method you describe. Weird…

BTW, remember back in the day when you had to hold the control key down while closing the app to make it remember the window size the next time it opened? We have come so far…

Thanx Matt!

mattb
    Participant

I think it’s due to how Windows remembers the size of a window. Its regular size is stored differently to it’s maximized and minimized sizes, though don’t quote me on that !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger