Categories Menu

Please note - We've migrated our forums to Wordpress

Users with 0 posts have been deleted, existing users will need to create a new password. Sign up or sign in here.

Windows 10 superguide

Home Forums Superguides Windows 10 superguide

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

waxeye8
    Participant
      Hi,
      My Windows 10 superguide downloaded fine, but when I tried to run it, just the black screen came up, then an error report 404. Using Edge browser in Windows 10 on Dell computer.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Waxeye,

Sorry for the inconvenience, let’s see if we can get to the bottom of this issue quickly then. On the black screen/window that appears, can you look and see if there are any error messages appearing? If so, can you let me know what they are?

Thanks!

Matt

waxeye8
    Participant

OS10013
    An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by access permissions.

AH00072
    Make_sock could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:100

AH00451
    No listening sockets available, shutting down.

AH00015
    Unable to open logs

Hard to read but this is the gist.

Matt
    Keymaster

Perfect thank you. This indicates that there is some software on your PC that is in conflict with the guide. We’ve seen this on a number of machines, far more than we anticipated actually. If it’s not Skype (as detailed here – https://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/superguide-faq/#skype) then I’d appreciate it if you could download and run this diagnostic tool:-

http://topwindowstutorials.s3.amazonaws.com/W10SuperguideFix/xampp-portcheck.exe

When you run that tool, it will open a window similar to the one shown here

portcheck tool

What I need to know is the Status of “Apache (HTTP)” That runs on Port 80. In my screenshot you can see it says “free”, however that almost certainly won’t be the case on your machine. Let me know what it does say then I can advise you on which fix to use.

Thanks and once again sorry for the inconvenience!

waxeye8
    Participant
      I removed Skyoe when I read it could interfere.
      Now I fear I have unwittingly breached the license agreement between you and my federation. This is probably the source of the problem.
      Perhaps I could buy my own copy of the superguide. Is it possible to buy a download? I have not time to wait for mail.

Matt
    Keymaster

Haha no don’t worry, there’s no secret DRM/Spy tool in there that checks to see if you breached your license 🙂 Though I do of course appreciate your honesty. You can absolutely buy your own copy of the guide as a digital download here – https://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/windows-10-superguide/ Hurry, since the introductory sale ends in two days!

However, that won’t solve this particular problem. Let me know the results of the Portscan utility, I’ll check those in the morning and advise you which fix you need.

waxeye8
    Participant
      Apache HTTP Port 80 Process System

Matt
    Keymaster

System again.. Not the first time we’ve seen that. Unfortunately there are about a half dozen different ways “System” can be taking that port, so rather than try and eliminate each one, simply install and run this fix instead:-

http://topwindowstutorials.s3.amazonaws.com/W10SuperguideFix/W10-Superguide-ChangePort.exe

That should move our guide over to another free port and prevent the conflict.

waxeye8
    Participant
      Everything AOK as far as I can see. Thanks for your help. I will have a proper look tonight.

Matt
    Keymaster

Great thanks for letting me know. I’m planning to take that patch and apply it to all future versions since we’re seeing this particular issue so frequently, and it should have no effect on users who don’t have the issue anyway.

waxeye8
    Participant

You have to be very trusting! Windows tries to block this change.
    The guide gave no problems on our Windows 7 computer.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ah, you mean because of the “Not commonly downloaded” thing? That’s always a thorn in the side of small sites like ours. We’re looking at digital signatures, which should make that problem go away, but of course they don’t come cheap, and we always try to keep costs low so that we can provide you with the very best value Superguide products.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger