Categories Menu

Please note - We've migrated our forums to Wordpress

Users with 0 posts have been deleted, existing users will need to create a new password. Sign up or sign in here.

(Solved) Windows 8 Superguide 2nd Ed Videos do not play on Win 8.1

Home Forums Superguides (Solved) Windows 8 Superguide 2nd Ed Videos do not play on Win 8.1

This topic contains 27 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  seniornetdb 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

seniornetdb
    Participant

Hi Matt

I think we are zeroing in on it.
    Removing Siteadvisor made no difference.
    We have discovered a pattern though. All videos that have the blue introductory opening screen that says to press play fail, e.g., Lessons 1,2,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,13,24. All the videos that the first image displayed is a screen shot with a big play button in the middle of the screen and do not have a black background or words tell the user to press play work fine, e.g., 3,4,5,12. (we only tried the first 24 lessons)
    It did not make any difference which side they were executed from.
    Hope this helps,
    Dan[attachment=2:zgslfnvx]Before pressing play.jpg[/attachment:zgslfnvx][attachment=1:zgslfnvx]After Pressing Play.jpg[/attachment:zgslfnvx][attachment=0:zgslfnvx]lesson 3 initiated from left side of 2nd Ed. Win 8 SG.jpg[/attachment:zgslfnvx]

mattb
    Participant

All the videos have exactly the same introduction, there should not be any without the blue splash screen so no, that’s not getting us any closer, just adding to my confusion unfortunately 🙁 Something is very wrong in that screenshot, that looks like a video from the first edition. This is getting extremely confusing, lets recap a moment.

Regarding the Windows 8.1 Superguide SECOND edition on your Windows 8.1 machine, you are now telling me that you can play /some/ of the videos but not all, is this correct?

On this machine, do you have the Windows Superguide first edition installed too?

If so, are you able to play some, all or none of the videos from the first edition?

Here’s what I’d like you to do next.

1) Exit the Superguide. Make sure the Server2Go component is shut down (in the notification area)
    2) Uninstall both Windows 8 Superguide and Windows 8 Superguide 2nd edition from your machine.
    3) Go into Internet Explorer manually, go to Internet Options (Gear or Cog icon) and under “browsing history” click on “Delete”.
    4) Make sure ALL options are checked/ticked and click “Delete”.
    5) Reboot
    6) Reinstall the second edition Windows 8 Superguide (only) from your media
    7) Report back to me and let me know if it works!

seniornetdb
    Participant

Hi Matt
    Yes we had all three Superguides (7,8,8.1) installed on the Instructor machine. We had to apply a fix to get SG 7 to work. We upgraded Windows to 8.1 through “the store” and the upgrade forces you in to using a Microsoft id though the local id was still installed.
    One of our tutors noticed that the videos that ran o.k. and did not use a blue intro screen appeared to be “unchanged from an earlier Superguide”, so it probably was mixing files somehow.
    We followed your procedure in your last post and now nothing works. They all fail after pressing play at the blue screen. All three Superguides work on our Widows 7 and Windows 8.0 machines.
    The event viewer shows MySQL errors and counsels that the version of MySQL needs to be upgraded to “fix” the error. See below. There is nothing on this machine other than ASUS automatic update, ASUS energy application and two levels of Office so I cannot think of anything else that might use MySQL. Since a tutor is running the tests for me I have not used a process explorer to match the process number using MySQL to the Superguide.
    Log Name: Application
    Source: MySQL
    Date: 10/04/2014 1:59:08 p.m.
    Event ID: 100
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Instructor
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 100 from source MySQL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:
    Event Scheduler: An error occurred when initializing system tables. Disabling the Event Scheduler.

The specified image file did not contain a resource section

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
    Instructor

Event Scheduler: An error occurred when initializing system tables. Disabling the Event Scheduler.

Description:
    The description for Event ID 100 from source MySQL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

mysql.user has no `Event_priv` column at position 29

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
    Instructor

mysql.user has no `Event_priv` column at position 29

Description:

Column count of mysql.db is wrong. Expected 22, found 20. Created with MySQL 50041, now running 50146. Please use mysql_upgrade to fix this error.

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
    Instructor

Column count of mysql.db is wrong. Expected 22, found 20. Created with MySQL 50041, now running 50146. Please use mysql_upgrade to fix this error.

Regards,
    Dan

mattb
    Participant

This really isn’t making any sense to me. MySQL isn’t used by our Superguides so I don’t think that error is related.

We’ve three 8.1 machines here and cannot replicate the fault on any of them.

Please can you open the C:Program Files (x86)TWTWindows 8 Superguide 2nd Editionhtdocssupport-filesSHQ folder on your computer and do me a print screen of the directory contents?

Just as a test (basically I’m clutching at straws now) create a local account and run the guide from that account, see if it makes any difference.

BTW you can upgrade to 8.1 without switching to a Microsoft account, Tutorial 1 on the 2nd Edition guide shows you how, now if we could only figure out why you cannot view it…

mattb
    Participant

One other thing to try (bit of a long shot but…)

Please download this .zip file and then copy the single html file from inside it into C:Program Files (x86)TWTWindows 8 Superguide 2nd Editionhtdocs Overwrite the existing file in that directory (Admin credentials will be required).

Start the guide again and attempt to open Lesson 1 video for large monitor size. Press F5 to refresh the page before you hit play.

Let me know what happens.

seniornetdb
    Participant

Hi Matt
    Well I am not having much luck.
    The uploads named SHQ1-3 are screen shots of the SHQ directory.
    I downloaded and placed the test.zip html file in the htdocs directory. I cleared IE files, restarted Windows 8.1 and executed the lesson 1 video. It failed the same old way. See upload named “Video 1 with test zip html”.
    I uninstalled the Superguide and went to All Apps and deleted the shortcuts (the installer does not delete them or the desktop shortcut) as well as the one on the desktop. I started the Superguide and it failed saying first in a black (command) window that “Webserver component not running – Starting” and then a regular Windows message box saying Windows cannot fine Startsuperguide.exe. I don’t see it either in the SG directory, just the Startsuperguide.bat. See upload “uninst reinst w local id start sg.jpg”.
    I’m running out of ideas. All I can think of is that the uninstaller is leaving more than the shortcuts an start program group.

seniornetdb
    Participant

Hi Matt
    Still on local signon id.
    Searched C drive for all objects starting with Windows 8 Superguide and deleted them.
    Cleared IE files.
    Restarted Windows 8.
    Put DVD in and noticed autorun doesn’t launch.
    Looked at autorun.inf on dvd and it specifies Install-W8-Superguide-2ndEd-DVD.exe. No such object in DVD root directory. Only executable is Install_.exe. Maybe like Windows the _ means to be expanded?
    Right clicked on it and ran as admin in File Explorer looking at DVD.
    Did “show detail” in install and saw it extracting MySQL components (part of the development tools and environment?)
    Restarted Windows.
    Start Superguide… it starts this time.
    Click on large monitor in lesson one, Video player window opens with blue screen. Press play. Blue screen cleared to black player stops (looks like all the images you already have).
    The only think I didn’t do was search the registry and delete all TWT keys but since the install completes after I manually delete all the components I doubt that would be helpful.
    Any ideas?
    Dan[attachment=2:2m19wxqm]xtract mysql libs 3.jpg[/attachment:2m19wxqm][attachment=1:2m19wxqm]xtract mysql dll.jpg[/attachment:2m19wxqm][attachment=0:2m19wxqm]xtract mysql libs 2.jpg[/attachment:2m19wxqm]

mattb
    Participant

Only executable is Install_.exe

That’s definitely not right, are you sure you had the Windows explorer window fully expanded to show the complete filename? Can I ask what optical drive you are using in the 8.1 machine, is it a built in one? Can you take the DVD and put it in another machine and see if the filename still appears as Install_.exe ?

Can you confirm to me 100% that the Windows 8.1 Superguide 2nd edition you are trying to run now (the same DVD) DID run on your Windows 8 machines?

The guide doesn’t access any registry keys when running, the only registry keys it sets are a key to tell Internet Explorer it is allowed to run (needed since IE11) and a key to tell where it is installed, that key is referenced only when an update is installed (an update for Windows 8.1.1 is due soon).

SQL is included as part of Server2Go but we don’t use it, the disc is a plain, static website, it’s certainly not used when launching video files.

Right now I really need to see the contents of the C:Program Files (x86)TWTWindows 8 Superguide 2nd Editionhtdocssupport-filesSHQ folder, it seems you forgot to upload the screenshots and I now believe they are key to solving this.

We will get to the bottom of this, if I have to I’ll move everything to our new HTML5 player for you, but there’s no point doing that while we still don’t understand why the Flash player is failing.

seniornetdb
    Participant

Hi Matt
    Sorry, forgot to upload those, they are attached to this message.
    Since I am at home and won’t be back to the centre for a week I will have to look at the DVD drive an I’ll look at the folder options. I will also look at the disk in Windows 7.
    Even though I will be traveling I will check the forum now and then so I’ll know if you find out anything.
    Regards,
    Dan[attachment=2:34u44amn]SHQ 1.jpg[/attachment:34u44amn][attachment=1:34u44amn]SHQ 2.jpg[/attachment:34u44amn][attachment=0:34u44amn]SHQ 3.jpg[/attachment:34u44amn]

mattb
    Participant

We have found the problem, all of your files are miss-named. 😯

Modern DVD discs use a filing system called UDF, that allows them to store long filenames. For some reason your Windows 8.1 machine is falling back to a legacy file system that only supports short filenames. Since UDF has been supported since XP (or earlier) I have absolutely no idea why your new 8.1 machine is failing to read the long filenames.

The rest of the guide wasn’t affected since it installs from the executable so that protected the files from being renamed like this, but since the video files were too big to easily pack into an installer executable, I simply copy them from the disc. This is why their filenames have been damaged.

The confusion over some files working is what threw me for so long, that must have entirely been down to Internet Explorer’s cache.

I do not know which program caused this to happen, but if the disc has installed correctly on other machines its definitely a fault on the PC you are now running it on. If the disc doesn’t work on any machine it could be a duplication fault (though a bizarre one!) but you said the guide ran perfectly fine on other machines, correct?

What I will do is this. First of all using the data you have given me in the screenshot, I should be able to write you a ‘patch’ that renames the files. In future I think I will zip the files on the disc just in case someone else encounters a PC that doesn’t read the long filenames for some reason.

mattb
    Participant

Okay, here’s the quick fix for Windows 8.1. Obviously if you need any further help with these steps do not hesitate to ask.

1) Download and install this tool, called Quickpar – http://www.quickpar.org.uk/Download-0.9.1.0.htm
    2) When the tool is installed, run it. A Quickpar window will open. All you need to do now is click on “Options”.
    3) Make sure under options that “Associate with PAR2 files” is selected (see screenshot) then click “OK”.
    4) Now, download the zip file I have attached. Once it is downloaded, open it and copy the RenameVideos file to the C:Program Files (x86)TWTWindows 8 Superguide 2nd Editionhtdocssupport-filesSHQ folder (the same folder you sent me the screenshot of).
    5) Double click on the “RenameVideos” file you extracted. A Quickpar window should appear and check the files, after a minute or two it will say “Ready to rename files”. Click on Rename and wait until it is done.
    6) The Superguide should now be fixed.

As for the Windows 7 Superguide, that’s more complicated since it runs from the DVD. Can I suggest you check the add/remove programs on the machine and remove any DVD or CD burning software the OEM might have installed and see if that solves the problem. The only other thing I can do for you regarding the Windows 7 Superguide is give you a free download so you can use the download version instead.

Let me know if that solves it. Sorry it is a convoluted workaround but this is the most reliable method to solve the problem I can think of, short of sending you the entire set of video files again.

seniornetdb
    Participant

Hi Matt

I have never heard of the file system type changing but that makes sense that I would see the unexpanded Install_ as a file name though I would have thought it would be a tilde if it was the name and not expansion related.

Nevertheless I went to the centre this morning and updated all the drivers from ASUS. Then I uninstalled the Win 8 SG 2nd Ed, and it uninstalled properly (cleaned up the shortcuts as well as deleting the folders). I didn’t have to clean up after the uninstall as I had before. So put the DVD in the drive and autorun brought up the correct choice with the Run-…..exe file. I dismissed it and used File Explorer to look at the contents and it contained the correct names. I then ran the Run-…exe file and everything worked perfectly. I didn’t have time to try every lesson but tried a few and they were perfect.

We will try some more lessons and I will have a look at the file system selected when we put DVDs in, when I am back in the centre.

If we have trouble again I will download your fix and try it.

Hopefully it is fixed though.

Thanks much for your help!

Kind regards,
    Dan

mattb
    Participant

Great, I’m glad we solved it so easily in the end. I haven’t seen a computer do this with a CD since the XP days so why your machine was doing it was a mystery, but all’s well that ends well.

Don’t forget I’ll have a free update/patch for Windows 8.1 Update 1 out soon too, as long as you are subscribed to the newsletter or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or RSS you will get a notification when it is out.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger